Tested verapamil side effects
Verapamil Side Effects along with other medicines is used to treat heart rhythm disorders. Common side effects are nausea, constipation, dizziness, and low blood pressure.
What is verapamil used best for?
Verapamil is a calcium channel blocker, on consumption helps loosen up the muscles of the heart and veins. It is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension), angina (chest pain), and certain heart musicality issues, which are critical clinical areas.
To avoid heart attack rates analyzing both positive and negative effects of verapamil consumption is a must. Verapamil injection is a prescribed drug to quickly rebuild the normal pulse rate, in patients with heartbeat problems. Verapamil comes as a tablet, an extended-release tablet , and an extended-release capsule. These may be prescribed once or twice a day to be taken daily.
Free List of verapamil Side effects costing life
Side effects of verapamil :
The effects of verapamil may or may not be serious, requiring doctors’ advice to treat the side effects. The patient needs to report the side effects and get emergency help if the following symptoms are seen in the patient’s body.
- Hives commonly called Urticaria can change size and shape, and appear anywhere on your skin for a specific time. They are signs of a severe allergic reaction called anaphylaxis, requiring immediate treatment. This urticaria lasting for more than 1.5 months might require longer prescription drugs.
- Breathing difficulties may be a sign of an emergency. Normal inhale and exhale might become a discomfort and irregular.
- Swelling on the face, lips, tongue, or throat might need immediate consultancy.
- Pain in the chest that is not usual should not be neglected. It could be a side effect of verapamil consumption or improper dosage consumption.
- Bradycardia or low heart rate is when the heart rate is lower than 60 seconds, which is not always a normal heart rate. Slow heart rates are in some cases normal for athletes and people with some medical history not requiring medical treatment.
- Shortened breath with mild exertion might make the person feel uneasy about death.
- A dizzy inclination, similar to one may pass out. So rise slowly while sitting or sleeping.
- Can verapamil cause weight gain? Which blood pressure drug causes weight gain? Yes, the side effect includes swelling on the hands, feet, ankles, and lower legs and sudden weight gain.
- Some allergic reactions also include a fever, upper stomach pain, and lung problems. These problems include the utmost anxiety. Anxiety is the medical condition making the person feel extremely worried and nervous disrupting daily routine. Stress due to reasons, smoking, and drinking habits or caffeine intake can increase risk anxiety in patients.
- This drug may have serious liver problems. Get clinical assistance immediately on the off chance that you have any side effects of liver issues, for example, sickness/vomiting that doesn’t stop, loss of appetite, stomach or abdominal pain, yellowing eyes/skin, or dull urine.
- The adverse side effects of verapamil are in myasthenia gravis. In a postoperative patient with prior myasthenia gravis, oral verapamil caused a tested worsening in myasthenic weakness.
- Redness of the face, mask, neck, arms, and occasionally upper chest may be a side effect that might cause irritation requisite of doctor consultation.
- A person may feel sore throat choking sometimes delivering pink foamy sputum.
Some minor side effects might not require medical emergencies on immediate effect as below :
- Nausea – It is in the form of a queasy stomach with or without vomiting. It is not a disease but a symptom of many disorders. It is either caused by a problem in the stomach and pelvic organs, Brain and spinal liquid, or Balance focuses in the inward ear. Nausea may be felt due to other reasons as well.
- The person might also feel difficulty in regular intervals of passing stool. There might also be heartburns, indigestion, and joint pain.
This may be a guide but not a complete accumulation book on verapamil side effects. If you feel any symptoms that are not covered above then do not panic and call your doctor for medical advice. You may report side effects to the Food and Drug Administrations ( FDA)MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online or by phone (1-800-332-1088).
Verapamil dosage – How to consume it?
Overdose can cause low blood pressure and in some cases, it might also cause heart attacks. This medication is being taken as prescribed by the doctor. In case of doubts consulting the doctor is considered safest.
The data accumulated below incorporates just average portions of this medicine, related to the patient’s medical criteria. If the patient’s dosage is different, it cannot be changed without consulting the doctor. The dosage differs from person to person, depending upon their problem.
For Angina (Chest pain):
Immediate Release formulation-
- Adults – Initially 80-120 mg, three to four times a day. It can be modulated by the doctor, as per the patient’s medical conditions. Children – Use and dose must be as per the doctor’s prescription
-- Advertisement --
- Adults – Initially 180mg once daily at bedtime. It can be increased up to 540 mg at bedtime. Children – Use and dose must be as per the doctor’s prescription.
- Adults – Initially 80mg three times a day is advised. It can be increased up to 480mg per day, given in divided doses. Although doses higher than 360mg, are of no additional use. Doses can be changed by consulting doctors.
Children – Use and dose must be as per the doctor’s prescription.
- Adults – Initially 180 – 240 mg once daily. It can be changed up to 240 mg, twice daily, by the doctor.
Children- Use and dose must be as per the doctor’s prescription.
For migraine :
Immediate-release formulation –
For migraine :
Immediate-release formulation –
- Initially 80mg three times a day. Higher doses can also be prescribed depending on the patient’s condition.
Tip in benefit – When taking the medicine, swallow the tablet with water, no chewing is allowed. Drink some more water over it to make sure that the medicine is swallowed completely. Do not store for future use. In case of overdose by an adult or a child, contact the nearest doctor or emergency ward, to avoid casualties.
Why skip the missed doses?
The medicine due dose needs to be immediately taken if missed, even if the person is feeling well. However, if it is the time for almost the next dose, then skip the missed dose and the next due dose is to be taken. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
What happens if too much drug is taken?
If the drug is consumed more than advised, he might experience dangerously low blood pressure, lower heart rate, or slowed digestive working. Overdose may cause the following problems.
- Blurred vision or dizziness
- Irregular heartbeats
- Seizures or confusion
- Difficulty in breathing or swallowing food
In case of a medical emergency or overdose of medicine
Call the poison control helpline no.1-800-222-1222. And in case the person has breathing difficulty, has a seizure, cannot be awakened, or has collapsed, immediately call emergency service on 911. Visit website Poisonhelp help for more information.
What should we know about the storage and disposal of this medication?
- Let the medicine rest in the same container it came, keeping it tightly closed and away from children’s reach.
- Store it at room temperature and away from excessive weather change.
- The storage should not be easily approachable to the kids to avoid intake that can be very dangerous. Always place safety caps and store it in a safe location.
- Medicines that are no longer in use should be disposed of effectively to ensure human and animal (specifical pets ) safety.
- Follow the take-back program by collaborating with your pharmacist or contacting the local recycling department to learn to take back programs prevailing. Visit the FDA’s website for more information on taking back programs in case of the absence of access.
Extra precautions :
Verapamil is not advised in case of allergic reactions. Consulting doctors should be aware in advance of the facts listed to avoid future issues. The facts are-
- Any serious heart issues, especially “sick sinus syndrome” or “AV block”(unless a pacemaker is implanted). Av block is conditional heart failure.
- Low blood pressure problems might be of concern.
- Immediate heart-related problems ( heart attack if any).
Pregnancy disclosure( if any ) for safety, although the effects of verapamil on newborns have not been proved yet. To ensure a safe intake of verapamil, tell your doctor about any of these below problems.
- Kidney disease,
- Liver disease,
- Congestive heart failure, or
- Nervous or muscular disorders ( Myasthenia gravis or muscular dystrophy)
What should be avoided while taking verapamil?
These are the restrictions while the person is undergoing clinical treatment with verapamil.
- Drinking alcohol is not allowed with verapamil to avoid the above side effects.
- Verapamil might make the person feel a little dizzy. Avoiding fast rising up while sitting or sleeping will be safer.
- Driving or any other extreme physical activity.
- Intake of grapefruit might cause serious side-effects. Avoiding grapefruit or its products is considered safe.
Wrapping up, it would be advice from a well-wisher that not everyone may be an expert. For this doctors are on their duty to serve medical needs efficiently and save people from the harms caused due to lack of knowledge. There is no illiteracy in visiting a doctor, in fact, it is the smartest move. Anything consumed more than advised is always harmful to the person out there. Stay safe stay healthy!
-- Advertisement --