|pain behind the right eye|
Never-ending pain behind my right eye:
If you are suffering from regular eye pain, it may or may not be severe but the weight behind the eyes is intolerable. This upsetting feel or unfriendly physical behavior might be an issue with face adjoining tissues. It can be unilateral or bilateral, which is on the right side, left side, or both sides accompanying the following symptoms.
- Burning, or sting eyeball,
- Stabbing pain and shooting in the eyes,
- Dull ache,
- Feeling like something is inside the eyeball.
- Window in front of eye focusing light (Cornea)
- The white part of the eyes ( sclera)
- Covering of sclera or eyelid ( conjunctiva)
- The colored part of the eyelet (Iris)
- Eye socket in the skull where the eyes and its muscles are located (orbit)
- Muscles controlling the movement (extraocular)
- Nerves carrying messages from eye to brain
- Moisture controlling parts (eyelids)
Reasons that cause stabbing pain behind my eye
Sinus disease :
- Throbbing pain and pressure on the back of the eyes.
- A runny or wet nose
- Problem in smelling
- Pressure on the face muscles
- Fever or cough
- Headache making eyelid feel heavy
- Sore throat
- Sore eyes
- Tired body
- Bad breath
Grave’s disease :
- Dry eyes
- Eyes bulging out from the socket
- Abnormal tearing up of the eyes
- Sensitivity to light increases
- Eye infections or ulcers
- Abnormal visions or loss of vision
- Swelling in the eyeball
- Being unable to move the eye
- Face injury: Injury to face might cause damage to the eye muscles, nerves and sinuses can cause following symptoms
- Bulging or sinking of the eye into the socket
- Black eye
- Blurred, double or reduced vision
- Numbness around the injured area
- Pain while opening the mouth ( Flat cheek)
- Swelling around the eyes
- The eye appears to either bulge or sinks into the socket
Optic neuritis :
This is a condition in which the nerve that connects the eye and brain becomes swollen, commonly caused due to Multiple Sclerosis ( types of infection). 50% of people with Multiple Sclerosis or MS experience optic neuritis. Symptoms of optic neuritis include-
- Reduced recognition of colors ( color blindness)
- Blurred vision( after rising in body temperature)
- The difficulty, while movement
- The abnormal reaction by the pupil to light
- Loss of vision in a single side
- Reduced vision
Other Potential triggers include :
- Eye stress, due to continuous use
- Throbbing toothache, majorly due to infection
- Ulcerations or abrasions on the cornea ( corneal damage)
- Chemicals or particles in the eyeball
- Oil-glands around the eye-getting infected ( Blepharitis)
- Eye-redness or itching ( conjunctivitis)
- Irritation due to blocked gland in the eyelid (Chalazion or stye)
- Inflammation of the colored part of the eyelet( iritis)
- Use of excess alcohol
- Exposure to strong odors
- Loud music or bright lights
- Body fatigue
- Hormonal disorders due to unknown reasons
- Lack of sleep or infection
Treatment for pain behind the eye :
- If you are suffering from a bacterial infection, the doctor will prescribe antibiotics to treat it.
- For a long-term sinus infection, antibiotics might be prescribed for three to four weeks by the concerned doctor. These antibiotics are to boost the immune system, they don’t completely kill the viruses. Talk to the doctor in case of a constant sinus problem that does not go even after treatment. You might need surgery to treat the problem.
- You can use salt and water solution to wash eyes to treat viral infection. Pain killers can help in relieving pain until the infection goes completely.
- To treat the headache you can make use of painkillers such as aspirin (Bufferin, Bayer Advanced aspirin), acetaminophen (Tylenol), or ibuprofen ( Motrin, Advil). Some medicines use a combination of aspirin and acetaminophen with caffeine. Some doctors might prescribe stronger painkillers like narcotics, a muscle relaxer, or sumatriptan (Imitrex) or zolmitriptan (Zomig) to cure headaches.
- In the case of Graves (explained above), the doctors will prescribe medication to stop hormonal growth in the thyroid gland. The doctor might also suggest the removal of the thyroid gland, in case of a serious condition.
- When you are suffering from a problem of optic neuritis, the doctor might suggest steroids to reduce the swelling in the optic nerve.
- Consult your doctor if you are suffering from a bite or problem of jaw alignment, to fix it by surgery.
5 killer tips for eyes pain-
Do to follow are-
- Wash your eyes with light tap water. Rinse them for at least 10 mins But in case of any chemical contact of the eyes, besides consulting the eye doctor.
- Open up the eyes to an extent that tears start rolling out of the eyes, to help wash the particle.
Don’ts to follow are-
- Do not rub the eyes, if there is an unwanted dust particle making you feel like something in my eye. You might also have a corneal abrasion, and rubbing eyes would worsen it.
- Use some sort of bandage over your eye to cover the eye from any unwanted touch and infection to the eyes.
- Do not use any sort of medicine or ointment without the doctor’s instructions.